The theme of this Value Day was sustainability and caring for the environment.
With the help of the Sustainability subcommittee of the Jamaat students were initially given a short talk on the importance of thinking about the environment after which they were split into groups and given the task of developing solutions to 6 common problems we face within our community:
1. Carbon footprint from cars driving to mosque
2. Food waste created by mosque, including organic waste e.g. potato peels
3. Use of disposable cups, plates and cutlery throughout the year
4. Water usage
5. Keeping buildings warm
6. Use of electricity
7. Protecting plant and animal life i.e. trees, bees, birds etc
8. Thinking greener as a community
Students had 1 hour to come up with a solution and then had to present to a panel of judges that included Abdullah Rahman, CEO of The Balsall Heath Forum, EC member Tawfiq Jivraj, teacher Kazim Sajan, Sis Nikhat Panjwani, Sis Shakira Fazal and Br Irfan Jiwa.